Resolution passed at CLP GC meeting on 24th Jan
West Ham Labour Party notes
1. Analysis by the Campaign Against the Arms Trade shows that, in the last 10 years, nearly a third of UK arms exports went to nations engaged in human rights abuses.
2. Oppositional voices to the DSEI Arms fair being held in Newham are numerous and include the Mayor of Newham, the Mayor of London, Pope Francis and many other religious/faith leaders and Newham residents.
3. Along with ethical, environmental and legal objections, it is also evident that the cost of policing DSEI falls on the taxpayer.
4. Hosting DSEI goes against our commercial, community, environmental and international values currently being promoted in London.
5.The financial advantage and political bias that DSEI gains, actively promotes and stimulates the arms industry – it is a dispensation that isn’t afforded to other industries and most especially those local and of real value to Newham and London residents
West Ham Labour Party Resolves resolves to:
6. Call upon the Labour party and trade union movement to support the call the end the DSEI arms fair.
7. Call upon Newham Council and the Mayor of London to actively do all in their powers to stop the arms fair.
8. Call upon the Labour party and trade union movement to promote renewable jobs and dialogue rather than arms sales and war.